Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Recollection and Gratitude: A Personal Year Ender






In few minutes, we will be saying goodbye to 2012 and welcome the year 2013 with, for most of us, big hopes and optimistic enthusiasm. I believe people all over the world are thrilled, expectant and glad that they have made it through another 365 days of their lives. Yet amid the long holiday celebration, it made me wonder if you had the time to contemplate what the outgoing year has made you.

While the world was preoccupied by the hullabaloo on ‘The Mayan Day of Apocalypse’, I was troubled by a lot of things most particularly on how to spend the holidays away from home. But it wasn’t at all about hedonistic and feeble reflection because I realized I had the most important thing to do before the year ends, and that was to look back at the best parts of my 2012 journey. Not only that, I wanted to recollect what the year has brought to my country.

The year 2012 marshaled an avalanche of events in the Philippines that created both local and international clamor. Whether it was a natural phenomenon or a social mayhem, political dispute or issue on the arts, religious debacle or personal conquest, and many others, we have witnessed it all with praise, derision or anguish shared.

Who can forget the 6.9 magnitude quake that hit near the central Philippines on February with 43 confirmed deaths? Then it was followed by typhoon Saola (Gener) on the last quarter of July that killed more or less 50 people and affected more than 500,000 and more than P400 million worth of damages on agriculture, infrastructure and private properties. Since then, a deadly flood swamped almost all of Metro Manila with more or less 70 fatalities. Then just recently, typhoon Bopha (Pablo) killed more than a thousand Filipinos, mislaid hundreds and caused an extensive destruction in Mindanao.

In the drama of life, we have followed the Tulfo vs. Barreto-Santiago fracas that resulted to arraignment. Millions mourned for the death of Philippine’s King of Comedy Dolphy Quizon and the defeat of our very own world-renowned Boxing Champ Manny Pacquiao to Juan Manuel Marquez has distraught the Filipinos. Adding tension to these issues are the highly divisive, debatable and controversial Reproductive Health Bill, SIN Tax Law and Cyber Crime Law that triggered many rallies and protests.

However, on the brighter side of these misfortunes, tragedies and controversies, we were still showered with multiple blessings worth celebrating. We take pride in the success of our compatriots and rejoice in the significant events that affected our people like the historic victory of The Azkals. We commended the ratification of RH Bill. We celebrated when Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire, Jr. hoisted the Philippine colors by knocking out Jorge Arce of Mexico for his fourth victory of the year. The Filipino women proved to the world once again that they are truly bold, brilliant and beautiful when Stephany Dianne D. Stefanowitz of the Philippines was crowned Miss Earth-Air on November and Janine Mari Tugonon bagged the first runner-up title in the 2012 Miss Universe pageant held in Las Vegas, USA, just recently. These and many other triumphs inspired the Filipinos to go on with life and find reasons to work hard and rise from misfortunes, and let them realize that there are still so many things we should thank the Lord for.

Personally, the year 2012 has offered to me many wonderful things worth gratifying. These gifts and simple miracles have inspired, strengthened and taught me a lot of lessons and somehow made positive changes in my outlook on life.

1.   I survived the year without major health issues. The gift of life is truly amazing and you can only appreciate it if you are healthy and hearty to face life’s daily challenges.

2.   I still have a good job. It is fulfilling to be able to stand up for something you love to do and some people you care about. Without regrets, I am confident in leading a team of brilliant writers. This job also allows me to connect with young, creative and talented personalities that enable me to grow and learn more.

3.  I published my book, A Walk Through Life, on May 24, 2012. This book was a lifelong dream, a more-than-a-decade of work, and now an enduring legacy.

4.  I started to blog. I have always wanted to share my thoughts and conviction on various issues and topics to the world. Being able to express my ideas is a unique way of learning and improving.

5.   I had a memorable birthday celebration. I don’t celebrate birthdays, but with good colleagues and thoughtful friends, my 2012 birthday celebration was unforgettable.

6.  I attended two Christmas parties. I don’t usually go to parties, but this year I made it to my team’s Christmas party and a small-circle-of-friends’ Christmas bash.

7.  I hit the number of books I aimed to read the whole year. It is very fortunate to be in the circle of writer friends and bookworms because you will know what good books to read are.

8.  I was able to watch good movies and TV series. When I am not reading or writing, I am watching movies or TV series that would loosen my nerves from the enervating day. This year, I have a sizeable collection of movies and TV series that not only entertains, but also teaches me beautiful lessons in life.

9.  I became part of a collaborative project. The Lightning Bulb is a personal success for me already. Much more, working with three intelligent and amazing writers.

10. My name became legally official. For many years, I have been existing with a name that was, I would consider, fictional.  Thank God, I was able to make it my own and official.

11. I got my passport and hardly earned legal documents. Like the legalization of my name, it took me many years to acquire these documents. Well, at least I am now ready to fly to wherever I want to go.

12. Finally, my holidays were never blue because I was able to go on an unforgettable out-of-town trip before Christmas. More than that, I had a wonderful Christmas celebration and writing this post on a New Year’s Eve is another beautiful experience.

As the year 2012 paves the way for the year of the water snake (2013), my only hope is to receive more blessings, new surprises, a new life, and perhaps, a new career in a new place where I can grow more. I believe that 2012 has prepared me for more difficult ordeals, tremendous tasks, and more life-changing experiences. And I thank the Lord for all His blessings. Thanks for the good year!

How about you? Have you looked back and asked what has 2012 made you? Have you counted your blessings and have thanked the Lord for it?



Bloodspots



No comments:

Post a Comment